Sunday, October 23, 2005

what a weekend

One word to describe me right now: drained. This weekend has been the most spontaneous and scariest in a while. It all started out amazing, with a trip to see Amy Tan. She signed my book and even wrote down my name on her pad of paper, because it was so unique. I felt so damn special. The following day, Lisa and I spent a while walking down to the wharf, watching the sunset, and then randomly decided to see Menopause: The Musical with John. We were the only young and non-white people in the entire theatre. Nonetheless it was pretty funny, but has me deathly afraid of menopause. :-P Saturday led us to King Richard's Faire where we got rained out. But we still enjoyed a few of the shows, the hugest turkey leg ever, and randomly ran into Boats and John Duel, and a former semi-resident, Dylan. We then met up with William, Laura, and Adam for a trip to Providence where we popped Laura's Fire+Ice cherry and cruised the mall. Lisa and I then did 6 loads of laundry. Yes, it was a packed weekend, and relatively fun weekend.

And then it got ugly.

Sunday morning, we got up and started making our delicious outmeal and bagels. And as Lisa was bending over, rummaging in the fridge, she said "Ow!" I was busy eating my oatmeal and, half listening, said what's wrong. She said her back hurt, and I thought OK, I will keep eating the oatmeal. And then... she just stood there, hunched over, silent. She then said something along the lines of "I feel funny" or something similar and that is when I took more notice. She was ready to keel over and faint. I rushed over and supported her as I yelled for William and Laura. We got her in a chair. After, Laura, my savior and the best human being for emergencies, began asking her questions as William called 911. Lisa was faint and weak and couldn't see through either of her eyes although they were wide open. It then got better when she could see shadows, but then again darkness, and then back to normal. The EMT arrived (as well as the fire dept!) and he started to check her out. She started to feel a little better and color returned to her face, as well as her vision. But we still went to the hospital to make sure. After several hours of sitting around, they just told her it was probably stress and to take it easy.

I am kind of ticked off that they did nothing really. They were crap and a half. She lost vision in both her eyes for at least a few minutes. That is not normal. The EMT who saw her said that in his 12 years working, he has never had a case where a reaction to pain was severe enough to cause transient vision loss. And she has never had this happen before. And she isn't stressed, physically or mentally really. She is so chill. The fact that she doesn't have medical insurance at the moment sucks because it makes me wonder if that is why they didn't have her get a CAT scan or an MRI or something more than peeing in a stupid cup. I am sure the excuse will also be because "It's Sunday" but that is bullshit. They didn't even recommend her to get more tests done when she got back to Boston. I am very nervous, thanks to John, because when he was in high school, he used to get fainting spells from random feelings of pain and lose vision temporarily. And you know what that ended up being? A BRAIN TUMOR.

I know Lisa will probably be fine, but still, I hate that they didn't run more tests. I am going to speak with her tomorrow and ask her if she wants to see a doctor and get more things done to be safe. I am working from home tomorrow to monitor her. I just want her to be and feel safe and secure. She has grown to be like a sister to me, as well as a best friend. Bad things are not allowed to happen to her. Do you hear that, supreme being??!?

Today really rattled us all. A lot. But not all the rattles were bad ones. It did make Lee realize that there is more in life than just studying. It even got her to say she was going to start hanging out with us more on weekends. :-) And I got my first ambulance ride where I was not strapped into a gurney. And I got a reminder of what life used to be like. Which only made me realize that... I have come a long way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home