Monday, June 21, 2004

age is a number and so much more

This weekend was decent. Friday was just relaxing with Becky. I don't see her enough these days. We go a day without doing anything and it feels like a lifetime. That's what happens when summer jobs kick in and your schedules don't match up. It sucks. But we do our best. This weekend, we are gonna have an old fashioned slumber party! Haha, who would have thought?

Throughout the day, I always have all these thoughts I want to remember to write down to put in my blog or something. Just so I can remember these thoughts. But then when it comes time to recall it all, it just slips away like slippery noodles and an inexperienced chopstick handler.

I went to see Dodgeball with Ian. And... his little sister Emily and her friend Allison in tow. I felt old, especially when Ian tells me I'm old. I was the chaffeur AKA only one with a license. At first I thought me and Ian were just supplying rides, but then they wanted to sit with us and well that was just strange. But there weren't at 4's together so we split up. Which is fine. I would have felt like there was an audience there with them anyways. Plus I feel bad, because with little sisters around, you automatically want to gang up on the sibling that is actually your friend. I am a joker and teaser as is, but when another joker/teaser comes around who is blood related, it becomes a whole new arena and sometimes you can just get carried away. I wanted to avoid that. I like to tease people Vonda style, not double team them.

There were these obnoxious black couples sitting behind us. They laughed so loud at EVERYTHING in the movie. I wonder if they were high, because some of the things were not THAT funny. But it's good to have those people because they make you laugh even when things aren't laughable.

One of the topics of discussion was a girl and guy who were dating. She's 17 and he's 23 or 24. Ahem, if sex is happening, in PA, that would be illegal and statuatory (sp?) rape. Anyways, that's not the point. The point that came to me was why was that relationship generally seen as OK? An older guy dates a younger girl and it's OK. Maybe a tiny bit cradle robbing, but not too bad really when it comes to most people's opinions. But if an older girl dated a younger guy with that type of age difference, well it's just unacceptable or frowned upon. The girl would be teased mercilessly. Why are men able to date whomever they want no matter the taboos surrounding it and it's seen as OK and gets "congrats, dude, she's hot and young" comments. Whereas women are plagued with all these restrictions imposed by what society thinks. It's beat into your brain so early that you don't even realize that society isn't necessarily imposing them as you get older, you are. Granted you could argue that younger guys are not as mature and therefore older women don't normally date them, but the really awesome younger guys do exist, I'm friends with plenty. But yet, most girls will never ever consider it just due to the consequences of it - the difficulty of accepting disapproval from everyone else or just the general negative judgement. I know I am brainwashed that way. I would maybe consider a guy one year younger or so, but anymore than that and it get's iffy or no if's at all. Yes, it's important to consiter that I, too, am decently young, but still, too young or younger in general just feels wrong. But what is so wrong about it? Nothing. And yet so many women, and society in general, can turn nothing into so many somethings.

The other day, I found out another friend of mine was Republican and a Bush lover. ::gasp:: Derek and I worked together in the same box office and had many heated discussions that night over politics and just general issues. We are polar opposites. And he even had the nerve to say the most outrageous comment, "People never really change their minds, so why bother?" I think he deeply believes that people don't change minds... and that is disturbing. He is such a nice kid, but wow... who would have thought he could be so ridiculous? I hope he gets kicked in the head by someone or something and his life and thoughts change so radically that nothing is ever the same again. He needs it because right now, he is living in a very closed world.

I need to get to bed. Tomorrow begins another week with the kids. And this week starts summerschool kids. Scream now or forever lose your sanity. Agghhhhhhhh!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home