Wednesday, October 04, 2006

realistic superficial importance

I just introduced My So-Called Life to Lisa this past weekend. And crazily enough, we just ended the series already, and it's just Tuesday. That is 23 hour episodes (OK, more like 45-50 min episodes) in about four or five days. Finishing the one lone season always leaves me wishing for more, wondering what happened, where Angela Chase's life would have went had she had another season. This is probably my third time through the series, and it feels as if I am watching it for the first time. I am not sure if I am describing this correctly, but it's the realistic superficial importance that the teenage characters put on their daily issues that resonates to what life was like for me at that age... maybe even now a little. What's amazing is that somehow through all the superficialness, we each manage to find portions of ourselves and learn those "important" life lessons. In Angela's case, and my own at times, those lessons are always filled with drama and the-world-revolves-around-this-moment mentality. If you think that life is better led without the roller coaster rides of drama, I'd tell you that you were wrong. It's the drama that keeps things interesting, forcing you to continue living for the next day because it's a toss of the dice on what happens next. And that unknown is so damn addicting. Life should be addicting! Life IS addicting. Oh man, I am so silly right now. I'll stop before I get anymore coming-of-age cliche-ish. My So-Called Life always pulls this number on me. Angela's introspective nature just channels the over-analyist in me. :-)

Sometimes I forget that not all human beings function or think the way I do. I am pretty sure that statement sounds very dumb and will resonate numerous times through my head as I try and finish this blog. I will re-edit that statement several times before I give up and just live with the silliness of the statement. Anyways, I was listening to music and just talking with my roommates and it hit me... they don't listen to music the way I do. With music, I listen, I absorb, I try to empathize... what do the words mean? What is the mood? How does this song fit in my life? Who is this artist? What is making them tick? With music I love, I listen and listen and listen. I know all the words, know the artist, attach their songs to periods in my life. I make their music a small portion of who I am because I am passionate about it and want this passion to be stamped all over my personality and thinking and words. But guess what? Not everyone functions like that. My roommates just listen for the good beat or the catchy "it" snag line of the today's trends. They don't always know the words to a song they like/"love" or the artist or sometimes what the song is trying to say about joe schmoe's life. That is just so... strange, to me at least. How do people not TRULY listen to music? Newsflash, Vonda, people don't absorb music, even life really, the same way you do. Maybe you all know this already and I'm silly to point it out. But it just hit me hard how different we all are and how we interpret things in our lives.

::yawn:: I'll stop blabbering now. I have issues getting to bed at reasonable hours. I guess some things will never change.

"People are always saying you should be yourself, like yourself is this definite thing, like a toaster. Like you know what it is even. But every so often I'll have, like, a moment, where just being myself in my life right where I am is, like, enough." --Angela Chase

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home